Saturday, May 24, 2014

23 Mobile Things - Thing 14 - Video

For this fourteenth Thing I went with Vine, another phenomenon I’ve been hearing about the younger people using (not that I’m that old, honestly, but I'm definitely not a teenager or undergrad anymore). My sister (the same who Snapchats) watches compilations of them on YouTube, and they can range from thought out to random, funny to kind of bad, one-offs to what seem like parts of a series, staged or candid, etc.

Downloading Vine and opening it, it wasn’t immediately obvious how to actually take a video, but once I figured it out I had a nice short looping video of me making funny faces while trying to figure it out. Once recorded, I could post it to vine, add it to a particular channel on Vine, and also choose to share on Twitter or Facebook, but did neither.
 

When you first open/sign in to Vine, you get a news feed of sorts, of in my case Editor’s picks, but if I had friends on Vine I’d probably see their stuff here. Videos start autoplaying once they’re mostly in the screen, which was kind of annoying. But oh man, there’s such an amazing range of complex things being done in 6 seconds!

Personally, I could lose hours to Vine. In line with not being much of a poster on Facebook, I probably wouldn’t make Vines much, or at least wouldn’t share them, but there might be some potential for recording thoughts or snippets of singing and the like. Professionally, Vine could be used for a lot of things I think - mini book or programming trailers, short public service announcement assignments for students, and just a way to share neat things that people in the community or throughout the world are doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment