Friday, August 8, 2014

Maud Hart Lovelace Award Series Introduction!

http://www.myrahome.org/uploads/1/7/9/1/17913813/1376835285.jpg
So far, I have only used this blog for a class assignment to do the 23 Mobile Things challenge, which I enjoyed and found interesting. I'll call that my first "series" of posts. The next "series" I am going to start, for my summer instructional technology course, is about this year's Maud Hart Lovelace Award nominees.

The MHLA is run by MYRA, the Minnesota Youth Reading Association. Every year they nominate about 20 paperback titles that students in MN read at least three of and then vote for their favorite. 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place winners are announced on Lovelace's birthday, April 25th. The titles are separated into Division I, for 3rd-5th graders, and Division II, for 6th-8th graders, with a couple of titles in both. Many schools have their students participate, and throw parties in the spring to celebrate!

As I am a Media EA (school library assistant) in a Twin Cities-area IB-PYP K-5, for this series I will focus on the dozen or so titles in Division I, in no particular order, and for each I will read the book, and then:
  • write a brief summary and review (avoiding spoilers)
  • note what subject the book would be shelved under in our organized-like-a-bookstore school library
  • note relevant IB-PYP learner profile attributes (pdf) and attitudes
  • and link to relevant websites, reviews, and other media, as available
My goal with these posts is to provide materials for either media staff or students to use in exploring, selecting, enjoying, and reflecting on the MHLA Division I titles. Feel free to comment and let me know what you think!

The 2014-'15 nominees are listed below in alphabetical order by title, and will be linked to as I post about them.
  • Aliens on Vacation by Clete Smith
  • As Simple As It Seems by Sarah Weeks
  • Belly Up by Stuart Gibbs
  • Benjamin Franklinstein Lives! by Matthew McElligott
  • Breadcrumbs by Ann Ursu
  • Ghost Dog Secrets by Peg Kehret
  • Guinea Dog by Patrick Jennings
  • Kindred Souls by Patricia MacLachlan
  • Liar & Spy by Rebecca Stead
  • My Life as a Book by Janet Tashjian
  • Sylvia & Aki by Winifred Conkling
  • Waiting for the Magic by Patricia MacLachlan

No comments:

Post a Comment