Saturday, May 24, 2014

23 Mobile Things - Thing 17 - Connecting to Community

I was super excited to see the Highlights of the Superior Hiking Trail app as an option for the seventeenth Thing. I have been going camping with my husband and our friends every summer for a handful of years now, and the Superior Hiking Trail is on our someday list. I wasn’t sure what to expect with the app exactly, but it was a bit simpler than I thought it would be, though I think it still does well. It has a simple map of the trail with a dozen-ish hikes highlighted with names and hiker icons. It took me a minute to realize each hike was a link, and from there I could look at a contour map (with a little bit of gestural zooming capability) of each hike, which was pretty neat. There are also two pages/tabs of the app that take you to links to other resources, like information hyperlinked with the trail’s website, and a contact information page.

Personally, I can envision driving to a few of these sites and going for a hike, maybe camping a night or two, and continuing to do another one the next day, or doing just one of them for a weekend. Professionally, this might be something to have students download and play with, perhaps picking a hike they’d like to do and then doing further research on preparing for it, or partnering with some sort of outdoorsy organization and listing this as a resource.

No comments:

Post a Comment